Home » 2021 Events - Giants of Steam 2021
Thundering giants join our home fleet locos for our annual gala!
8 - 10 October 2021
|On the Day
|Event with Travel - One Day||Adult||£35.00||£56.00||£40.00|
|Family (2 adults + 3 children)||£87.50||£140.00||£100.00|
|BRPS Member Adult||£17.50||£28.00||£20.00|
|BRPS Member Child (3-15yrs)||£8.75||£14.00||£10.00|
|BRPS Member Family (2 adults + 3 children)||£43.75||£70.00||£50.00|
|BRPS LIFE Member||Free||Free||Free|
|Event Admission Only - One Day||Sheffield Park Station - Adult||-||-||£10.00|
|Sheffield Park Station - Child (3-15yrs)||-||-||£5.00|
|Sheffield Park Station - BRPS Member||-||-||Free|
|Horsted Keynes Station - Adult||-||-||£10.00|
|Horsted Keynes Station - Child (3-15yrs)||-||-||£5.00|
|Horsted Keynes Station - BRPS Member||-||-||Free|
|Kingscote Station - Adult||-||-||£2.00|
|Kingscote Station - Child (3-15yrs)||-||-||£1.00|
|Kingscote Station - BRPS Member||-||-||Free|
|East Grinstead Station - Adult||-||-||£2.00|
|East Grinstead Station - Child (3-15yrs)||-||-||£1.00|
|East Grinstead Station - BRPS Member||-||-||Free|
What can you expect this year? An intensive and varied timetable showcasing different engines of the BR Southern Region. Alongside our own BR Standard Class 5 No.73082 ‘Camelot’ and BR Standard Class 4 Tank No. 80151, visiting locomotives Merchant Navy Class No. 35028 ‘Clan Line’ and Maunsell Schools Class No. 30925 ‘Cheltenham’ will feature to fit the Southern Railway theme. They will be joined by special guest USATC S160 No. 6046 which is currently residing at the Bluebell Railway until the end of October. Visitors can compare the might of the American locomotive alongside our Southern beasts and decide who the true Giants of Steam really are!
Enjoy the freedom to hop on and off at our four beautifully preserved stations and catch different trains. Make good use of the busy timetable and challenge yourself to ride behind all of the locomotives running over the gala weekend. Event tickets covering two days are available and offer good value for money or else you can opt for an action-packed single day – if you are up for the challenge!
If you are looking for comfort and style, a range of carriages will be hauled by the giants, giving the option to experience open carriages and compartment travel from a golden era when there was room to stretch your legs and fresh air from opening windows!
In addition to the locomotives, make the most of our museum and exhibitions. Step onto the footplate of locomotives ‘Stepney’ and ‘Captain Baxter’ in SteamWorks! in the locomotive shed at Sheffield Park Station. This area includes ramped access to C Class locomotive with full wheelchair access onto the footplate and other interactives based on the science of steam that will entertain and inform the whole family. Make the most of The Bessemer Arms pub restaurant on Platform 1, then head over the bridge to Platform 2 and visit our accredited museum. Sheffield Park offers the best free parking facilities.
Photographers, we recommend alighting at Horsted Keynes Station. It is the largest station with 5 long platforms and offers great photographic opportunities as it is used as a passing place for timetabled locomotives. This country station has featured regularly in film and television and is a faithful representation of the 1930s and early 1940s. A large, raised signal box features at the south end and a useful footpath across a road bridge at the north end. There is some limited hardstanding parking at Horsted Keynes. Pop into the carriage and wagon workshop viewing area whilst there and find out just how dedicated to preservation of our heritage the Bluebell Railway is.
Food and drink:
- Bessemer Arms and platform kiosk at Sheffield Park Station
- George V Buffet at Horsted Keynes Station
- Wellhouse at Kinsgcote Station
- Grinsteade Buffet at East Grinstead Station
- There are toilets at each of our stations.
- There are toilets on some of our trains - please ask station staff for advice on which trains these are available.
- Baby changing facilities are available at each of our stations, but not on our trains
- We're sorry but it isn't possible to take large or non-folding prams/buggies/pushchairs into seating areas on our trains. These may be left in the care of the station staff at the departure station or carried in the guard's van on the train (please ask station staff for assistance)
- There is plenty of free parking at Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes stations. Public Pay and Display parking is available near to East Grinstead Station. We regret there is no parking at Kingscote Station.
- We are pleased to offer a specially adapted area for wheelchair users on some trains during this event. Please call our Customer Service Team on 01825 720800 for further information.
- If you or a member of your party have mobility issues and would like to travel during this event, please call our Customer Service Team on 01825 720800 who will be happy to discuss your requirements with you.
- Accessible toilets are available at each station, but we regret we have no "Changing Places" toilets or accessible toilets on our trains
- Children under 3yrs (and babies) travel for free and don't need a ticket
- Dogs are welcome at this event - no ticket required
- Tickets are valid for the date specified on the ticket only
- Tickets only valid for class of travel booked - no upgrades are available
On 19 July, the Government moved to Step 4 of its roadmap and removing most legal Covid-19 restrictions.
We ask our visitors to follow Government advice and ‘use personal judgement to manage own risk’.
From 19 July:
- The legal requirement to wear face coverings has been lifted, however ‘the Government expects and recommends that people wear face coverings in crowded areas’. We encourage our visitors to continue to wear face coverings, particularly in any crowded areas on board our trains and around the Railway
- We ask our visitors to continue to be mindful and respectful of others in regards to social distancing
- We will continue to display QR codes for customers wishing to check in using the NHS COVID-19 app
- We are keeping some of the mitigations such as control of crowds forming, sanitising stations, extra ventilation and some social distancing measures will continue to be in place to enhance visitor safety as life gradually returns to normal
Customers who are feeling unwell or who have had a positive test result and are isolating on their date of travel should not come to the Railway and are asked to contact our customer services team regarding their booking: firstname.lastname@example.org