Home - The Sussex Cricketer
Demand for some services is high so enter a range of dates and the system will show you available services for each day
Demand for some dates is high so enter a range of dates and the system will show you available services for each day
Summer, Sussex and cricket!
The Sussex Cricketer is our weekday regular travel service. If you wish to travel on a weekend service, please book tickets for The Pioneer.
Tickets are available to book online up to midnight on the date before travel. But if you haven't booked online don't worry - tickets are available to purchase for The Sussex Cricketer on the day of travel from Sheffield Park, subject to availability. Tickets are also available for solo passengers on the day.
All visitors to the Bluebell Railway must comply with the Government guidance on people meeting socially in place at the time of their visit. From 17 May, the government is planning to move to step 3 of its roadmap, which means the Rule of six or two households will apply indoors. In line with Government guidelines, visitors travelling on our trains must be in groups of six or fewer, or with one other household, until at least 19 July. The full government roadmap out of lockdown can be found here.
You can find our full safety measures on our Covid-19 Safety Measures page.
First Class Compartment - £135.00
(seating up to 6 adults)
Third Class Compartment - £80.00
(seating up to 8 adults)
Table for 4 - £75.00
Take a summer steam journey through the beautiful high weald. This service offers a range of seating options from private compartments to socially distanced seating at tables for 2 or 4 in spacious carriages and single seats. The ideal option for both families and smaller parties. We are pleased to be able to offer wheelchair spaces on this service too. Safe and enjoyable – comfort and style!
When booking, don’t forget to add something special, like a boxed cream tea and some fizz, to really get into that Sussex summer spirit.
This summer special service has been named to commemorate 125 years since a very special game. In May 1896 25,000 people travelled to Sheffield Park to watch a notable cricket fixture against Australia. Spectators included HRH Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) and banners lined the route between the railway and the gardens of Sheffield Park. It must have been quite a spectacle and very busy!
Now a National Trust property, Sheffield Park and Garden has a long and illustrious association with the game, welcoming famous players and international teams in the past. Click here to visit the national trust site to find out more about cricket in the park.
More than a train ride…
Experience the power of steam and travel in the luxury of days gone by; but remember, a visit to the Bluebell Railway is a whole day out. Visit our accredited Museum at Sheffield Park, our amazing collection of locomotives in the interactive exhibition SteamWorks! and enjoy a bite to eat at The Bessemer Arms pub restaurant. The model and gift shop at Sheffield Park has undergone a fabulous re-fit, so make sure you call in there. Each station has so much more to offer and all while you immerse yourselves in living history. Definitely more than a train ride!
This service begins and ends at Sheffield Park Station, and includes a return trip of around 1 hour and 45 minutes to East Grinstead and back.
During the journey the train will stop at both Kingscote and East Grinstead stations. Why not take at break at Kingscote to stretch your legs, visit the open-air exhibits, allow the children to let off some steam in the playground and enjoy a treat from the Well-House Kiosk? Then hop back on the train as it returns from East Grinstead ready to take you back to Sheffield Park. If you chose to stay on the trains all the way to East Grinstead, you are welcome to briefly get off the train and watch the engine 'run around' the train (uncouple from one end and re-join at the other).
Why not add some of our delicious pre-packed food boxes to enjoy on your journey? Food boxes are just £8.00 each and Stepney boxes are available for children at £6.00 each.
A selection of drinks is also available to pre-order (we are sorry but no food or drinks can be purchased whilst onboard).
Please select your food boxes and drinks during the booking process.
Please note food boxes, Fish and Chips and drinks are only available to pre-order until 4pm the day before travel.
Why not make your journey extra special with a souvenir? We have a selection available for you to purchase when you make your booking!
Please note souvenirs are only available to pre-order until 4pm the day before travel.
Food boxes, drinks and souvenirs will be waiting for you on the train.
Ploughman's Lunch for One
All departures *
£8.00* Available to order until 4pm the day before travel
Cream Tea for One
All departures *
Stepney Box for One
All departures *
* Available to order until 4pm the day before travel
In line with Government guidelines, the following safety measures will apply until at least 19 July:
- Face Coverings - Face coverings must be worn in public places such as platforms, in the museum and SteamWorks! and when boarding or alighting from the trains in accordance with Government guidance. Face coverings can be removed when seated onboard but will need to be worn if passengers leave their seats to use the toilet, and when entering or leaving the trains.
- Socially distanced seating - Our onboard seating capacity has been reduced to allow for a comfortable, socially distanced journey. Passengers are asked to remain in their allocated seats throughout the journey, unless they need to leave their seat to use the toilet
- Pre-packed food - All meals are hygienically pre-packed in covered boxes. All our serving staff have been fully trains and will follow the government guidelines for serving of food and drinks.
Please visit our Covid-19 safety measures page for more information.
- All trains depart from and return to Sheffield Park Station
- Children under 3yrs (and babies) travel for free and don't need a ticket
- All food and drink on this service is by pre-order only and is only available to pre-order until 4pm the day before travel
- Tickets are valid for the service and date specified on the ticket only
- Tickets only valid for class of travel booked - no upgrades are available
- We're sorry but it isn't possible to take prams/buggies/pushchairs on this service. These may be left in the care of the station staff at the departure station.
- BRPS discount (50%) and BRPS Life Member (100% 1st class). Make your booking online by selecting the BPRS ticket types. Proof of discount eligability will be required to be shown on the day of travel.
- We regret TOC and Hertiage Railway reciprocal discounts are not available on this service.
- Compartments and tables are allocated automatically. Parties from separate bookings will not be seated in the same compartment or on the same table.
- If you are booking for a large group, your party may be split into more than one compartment or table.
- We are pleased to offer a specially adapted area for wheelchair users on some runnings of this service. Please call our Customer Service Team on 01825 720800 to book these spaces.
If you or a member of your party have mobility issues and would like to travel on this service, please call our Customer Service Team on 01825 720800 who will be happy to discuss your requirements with you.
© Bluebell Railway Powered by vTicket